News and Events
Congratulations to Conrad Santini, Associate Director of the KU CMLD and Core B Leader, Sarvesh Kumar and Paul Thornton who made the cover of ACS-Combinatorial Science, November 2013. Their article included the cover image depicting how, from a single precursor shown in the center and moving outwards, three successive layers of divergent chemistry are used to rapidly create 24 separate synthetic pathways that afford 162 library compounds.
Eli Lilly's Open Innovation Drug Discovery Program recognized the KU CMLD with one of its inaugural Outstanding Contributors and Collaborators Awards in 2012. The KU CMLD Center was awarded the "Outstanding Contribution to Compound Screening" award. The award recognizes us and 4 other (out of 715) OIDD users for partnering in the pharmaceutical discovery process.
Prof. Jon Tunge named KBA Rising Star
The KU CMLD would like to congratulate Jon Tunge for being named a KBA Rising Star. Awarded by the Kansas Bioscience Authority, this honor is accompanied by $650,000 for retention and research.
Bioinformatics computing facility receives a $4.6 million boost
The KU CMLD would like to congratulate Luke Huan for a successful grant application featuring the collaboration between ITTC, KU CMLD and KU SCC. Awarded through the NIH Recovery Act Limited Competition: Core Facility Renovation, Repair and Improvement program, this infrastructure grant will enable a 20-fold boost in computing power for applications such as data mining of emergent chemical genomics databases while also increasing energy efficiency and sustainability.
Royal Society of Chemistry article highlights CMLD work on arynes
Keith Buszek was recently interviewed by writer Phillip Broadwith for the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) regarding a recently published paper (Org. Lett. 2010, 12, 96-99) . The RSC article, Bending the Rules for Arynes, appears in Chemistry World (the UK equivalent of Chemical and Engineering News) and was published online on January 18.
CMLD Research Featured on Cover of 50th Anniversary Edition of Tetr. Lett.
Keith Buszek, Associate Professor of Chemistry at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and KU CMLD Project Leader, made the cover of Tetrahedron Lett. 50th Anniversary Edition with his article originally appearing in Tetrahedron Lett. 2009, 50, 63-65.
KU CMLD Publications Appear on JCC's Third Quarter 2009 Most-Accessed Articles List
Two KU CMLD publications were among the Journal of Combinatorial Chemistry's "Most-Accessed Articles: July-September 2009" list:
- Cho, C-H.; Neuenswander, B.; Lushington, G.H.; and Larock, R. C. Solution-Phase Parallel Synthesis of a Multi-substituted Benzo[b]thiophene Library. J. Comb. Chem. 2009, 11(5), 900-906.
- Worlikar, S.A.; Neuenswander, B.; Lushington, G. H.; and Larock, R. C. Highly Substituted Indole Library Synthesis by Palladium-Catalyzed Coupling Reactions in Solution and on a Solid Support. J. Comb. Chem. 2009, 11(5), 875-879.
2009 American Chemical Society National Award Winners
The KU CMLD would like to congratulate two colleagues who have recently been honored by the American Chemical Society.
- John A. Porco, Jr., Professor of Chemistry at Boston University and Director of the Boston University Chemical Methodology and Library Development Center (CMLD-BU), has been awarded a 2009 Arthur C. Cope Scholar Award from the American Chemical Society.
- Peter Wipf, University Professor of Chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh and Director of the University of Pittsburgh Center for Chemical Methodologies & Library Development (UPCMLD), is the 2009 recipient of the American Chemical Society's Ernest Guenther Award in the Chemistry of Natural Products.
KU CMLD Publications Appear on JCC's First Quarter 2008 Most-Accessed Articles List
Three KU CMLD publications were among the Journal of Combinatorial Chemistry's "Most-Accessed Articles: January-March 2008" list:
- Fenster, E.; Rayabarapu, D. K.; Zhang, M.; Mukherjee, M.; Hill, D.; Neuenswander, B.; Schoenen, F.; Hanson, P. R.; Aubé, J. Three-Component Synthesis of 1,4-Diazepin-5-ones and the Construction of γ-Turn-like Peptidomimetic Libraries. J. Comb. Chem. 2008, 10(2), 230-234.
- Vedantham, P.; Guerra, J. M.; Schoenen, F.; Huang, M.; Gor, P. J.; Georg, G. I.; Wang, J. L.; Neuenswander, B.; Lushington, G. H.; Mitscher, L. A.; Ye, Q.-Z.; Hanson, P. R. Ionic Immobilization, Diversification and Release: Application to the Generation of a Library of Methionine Aminopeptidase Inhibitors. J. Comb. Chem. 2008, 10(2), 185-194.
- Nöth, J.; Frankowski, K. J.; Neuenswander, B.; Aubé, J.; Reiser, O. Efficient Synthesis of γ-Lactams by a Tandem Reductive Amination/Lactamization Sequence. J. Comb. Chem. 2008, 10(3), 456-459.
KU CMLD Makes JCC's Most-Cited Articles List for 2007
Two KU CMLD publications appear on the Journal of Combinatorial Chemistry's "Most-Cited Articles published in 2007" list:
- Chaudhry, P.; Schoenen, F.; Neuenswander, B.; Lushington, G. H.; Aubé, J. One-Step Synthesis of Oxazoline and Dihydrooxazine Libraries. J. Comb. Chem. 2007, 9(3), 473-476.
- Manyem, S.; Sibi, M. P.; Lushington, G. H.; Neuenswander, B.; Schoenen, F.; Aubé, J. Solution-Phase Parallel Synthesis of a Library of Δ2-Pyrazolines. J. Comb. Chem. 2007, 9(1), 20-28.
These articles are featured on the ACS Publications website as two of the Most-Cited Articles published in 2007 and cited through the period ending December 31, 2007. Most-Cited Articles listed are based on data from Thomson Web of Science®.
CMLD Advisor Also Appears in JCC's Most-Cited Articles List
The KU CMLD congratulates Professor Michael Organ of York University (former KU CMLD external advisory board member) for his report which was also recognized on the Journal of Combinatorial Chemistry's "Most-Cited Articles published in 2007" list:
- Bremner, W. S.; Organ, M. G. Multicomponent Reactions to Form Heterocycles by Microwave-Assisted Continuous Flow Organic Synthesis. J. Comb. Chem. 2007, 9(1), 14-16.
2008 American Chemical Society National Award Winner
Mukund Sibi, a James A. Meier Professor of Chemistry and Molecular Biology at North Dakota State University, will receive a 2008 Arthur C. Cope Scholar Award administered by the American Chemical Society. Prof. Sibi collaborated with the KU CMLD from 2005-2007 on a combinatorial heterocyclic chemistry project made possible by a supplemental grant from the NIH.
2007 GRC on Combinatorial Chemistry Poster Awardee
Keith Buszek, Associate Professor of Chemistry at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and KU CMLD Project Leader, was selected as a GRC Poster Awardee at the June 3-8, 2007 Gordon Research Conference on Combinatorial Chemistry. Chosen by a committee comprised of current and past GRC chairs in attendance at the event, Prof. Buszek has also been invited to return to the 2008 conference in Oxford, UK as a featured speaker.
CMLD Research Featured on Cover of May 11 Issue of JOC
Congratulations to Professor Brian Blagg (KU CMLD Project 4 co-investigator), whose article in the May 11, 2007 Journal of Organic Chemistry inspired the cover art for the issue!
2007 High Throughput Screening Symposium
Co-sponsored by the KU CMLD and KU's COBRE Center for Cancer Experimental Therapeutics, this March 12, 2007 event proudly featured three experts in the field of high throughput screening:
- Dr. James Inglese, Director, Biomolecular Screening and Profiling Division, NIH Chemical Genomics Center; Associate Investigator, Genome Technology Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute
- Dr. John S. Lazo, Director, Drug Discovery Institute, University of Pittsburgh; Allegheny Foundation Professor of Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Dr. Bryan L. Roth, Director, NIMH Psychoactive Drug Screening Program; Professor, Department of Pharmacology & Division of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina
2006 KU Research Achievement Award Winner
Dr. David Vander Velde, director of KU's NMR Laboratory and co-director of KU CMLD's Library Design & Analysis Core, received the inaugural 2006 KU Research Achievement Award in recognition of outstanding research accomplishments. KU's Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Richard Lariviere presented the award to Dr. Vander Velde at the November 2, 2006 research convocation.
NIH Pilot Scale Library Grant Recipients
In 2005, three members of the KU CMLD center were awarded an NIH/NIGMS Pilot Scale Libraries synthesis grant, which has Professor Paul Hanson as its principal investigator (the others are Professors Gunda Georg and Jeffrey Aubé). In 2006, Iowa State University Professor Richard Larock (KU CMLD Project 3 co-investigator) was also awarded a Pilot Scale Libraries synthesis grant. These awards permit the synthesis of libraries based on CMLD innovation, in addition to the demonstration libraries that are prepared under the CMLD program itself.